How's Your Family?

PULL UP A SPITTOON AND STAY A WHILE

Sunday, October 29, 2006


Has anyone ever noticed that diehard bluegrass fans can be some of the most pretentious people in the universe. Last weekend a bunch of my friends and I went to a bluegrass festival in Buda texas. With a name like that, you'd think that people in the town would be pretty chilled out. Think again, so it was like 20 bucks for a two night festival (no discount for one night, even though we only went saturday), plus 10 bucks for camping and it was held at pretty much a city park. SO we're hanging there and are watching some bands, which were pretty good, and we got hungry, so we think to ourselves lets set up the grill in front of the stage so we can cook while we watch. As the venue is outside in a city park, with abundant grills, we think to ourselves, "Shit we're in texas, home of BBQ, nobody will give a F*&$, if we set up shop here." So we start the grill, the fire burns down and we throw meat on. Then the band we're watching stops playing, and like four sets of people come up to us and are like, "what the fuck do you think you're doing?", "Are you using lighter fluid", "that is the most offensive, acrid, toxic etc. you fill in the blank smell I've ever smelled".

So this is the most nuisance I've ever caused in my life at a public event, (next to the time I mooned like 40 bussloads of kids at a fine arts festival in highschool, and the only people who didn't think it was funny was the professors). So we proceed to blow off all these people who are acting like they are about to die, and this drunk 40+ year old woman comes up and is like, "Damn, that smells awesome". And we're like, "No shit, we just had like 15 people come up to us and tell us to move it or put it out and shit". About this time "concert staff" (old women 40+) comes up and is like we've had several complaints, and you can't grill here, you should have checked the wind etc. before you set up your grill. You're going to move that etc. And we're finally like damn I guess we'll have to move it. So Whitney and I grab the legs of the grill (the only part that won't burn us), and the bitch is like, "Oh is there anything that we can do to help you" and I'm like, "yea, next time don't make us move our grill!" which I guess she pretty much ignored. And we moved the grill in the fucking dark, to a picnic table that had 0 fucking light after being at one where we could see everything. And as we're walking away, i overhear some people say "we're not going to let them come in and RUIN our community" after we paid 30 bucks+ to get yelled at all night.

Which brings me to a question, is there a large contingency of fans of bluegrass music that just plain suck (or is it somewhat derived from the quality of the music)? And is there somewhat of a paradox with these people in the sense that the songs (and community built around them) seem to be universal in the sense that they deal with a large spectrum of topics, and "encourage community" both of musicians and fans of bluegrass music. AKA there are varietys of bluegrass that deal with dark subjects and those that deal with "sunny themes" like babies and Jesus and what not. But when it comes down to differences in the community the people who pride themselves the most on the "sunny disposition stuff" exhibit more hate towards other elements, aka people chastizing us for "RUINING their community etc." I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick -

Good post. Glad to hear you're doing something productive in Austin, like "ruining communities." I don't really have the time right now to give you one of my typically run-on-train-of-thought-comments, but will post as soon as I get the chance. Oh yeah, and I wasn't really chastizing you over on Ben/Minx's blog - I was just kidding around and had been up for over 20 hours and was feeling somewhat giddy. Just so you know.

Will post a comment soon,

Will

3:12 PM  
Blogger j martins said...

That reminds me of seeing Medeski Martin and Wood at the Atlanta free (no pay)jazz festival. Sheila E was following them and some smooth wanker was before them. Most of the crowd were yuppies of various races, wearing silk shirts, with lawn chairs, everyone sitting down and so on, you know, jazz is for feeling care-free, man. People even had radios and were listening to smooth jazz on the radio while they were watching bad jazz in front of them. When MM&W got on stage all of the sudden I realized that a bunch of Phish heads had infiltrated the audience and as soon when they started playing all these white hippie kids were standing up and dancing in their silly way, and a massive cloud of smoke emerged travelling over the crowd of yuppies sitting down. People got pissed, yelled at them to sit down, while the hippies ignored them. I was standing next to the guy who told a hippie "I'm an off duty cop, you better get rid of that joint", so the kid just casually walked into the crowd of other hippies. They all dispersed right when MM&W stopped and the MC told them how rude they were. They were gone.

5:43 PM  
Blogger prison guard said...

I remember that show Jordan, Whitney and I were there too. I remember, you were planning on riding back with us, but Hester kidnapped you and took you to asheville with her or something. I remember making a pact with you that I would be carrying the pirate flag from the house which I did, and waved with pride. But, we never found you. As I remember it that show was sick, 90% punk oriented and people were pissed which was awsome.

-Will,
I didn't take it hard, just ribbing you a little bit, and yes, I jack off everytime I read Ben's blog monkey noises and all

7:44 AM  
Blogger j martins said...

Nick,
I thought that you had been there, but I forgot about the whole pirate flag business until you mentioned it.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick -

Finally, I get around to writing this comment on your blog - apologies on my behalf, I've been quite busy this week...Anyway, I think those people sound like right bastards. I can't believe that they had the gall to make you move your grill. As far as you "ruining their community," I think this was merely wishful thinking on their behalf. People that are bastards generally secretly want their community to be ruined so they can start over and be bastards somewhere else. I would've been tempted to dump the grill on top of the closest naysayer - but I have more self-control than that (don't I?). I say, this country was founded on grillin' - it's the quintessential American pasttime for people that don't like (or have gotten too fat from all their grillin' to play) baseball. So have at it, I say. I'm always curious to wonder how these bastards would make do if they lived in the time period during which their beloved bluegrass music came about. Certainly, if they told those people to move their grills, they would get a much-deserved bayonet through the eye.

All the best,

Will (still dressed in Halloween bear costume)

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick - That picture of you might ruin some communities.

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://frictiondip.blogspot.com/

-Andrew Schmidt

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home